Bargin Books, Games, Music, Movies & More

Friday, October 21, 2011

A New Horror

Greeting everyone!

When I was 15, my high school girlfriends and I had an obsession with horror to the point that we tried to create our own horror movie (It was the funniest thing you would ever see and the only copy dies with me).  Ten years later, I still have an obsession with horror and I'm dusting off the old script and trying to rework it the best that I can.

Now, I've said in the past that if this world was dependant on me writing horror, we would all die.  I still stand by the statement, but I've never been one to back down from a challenge. 

So, in order for me to create something truly terrifying, I have to ask for your opinions.  Do you find scary movies more enticing and terrifying if the killer has no motive?  Or would you prefer them to yap on about why they've been stabbing, shooting and killing people at random for the last ninety minutes?

Your input means a lot to me, so please either message me on Twitter or leave a comment below.  Who knows, maybe in time Slayed will be coming to a cinema near you....

4 comments:

  1. I always hate how the villain explains why they've been killing. It's not always nessacary. I liked Michael Myers a lot better when there was no motive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The short answer is yes. Sometimes I wonder why they're doing it, but over all it's a lot scarier if there's some psycho running around with a knife and no real reason behind the slaughtering. It brings a new element of fear to the table.

    As someone who was part of the original Slayed, I can't wait to see what ten years later would do for the script. Rhiannon Irons was a fantastic writer back then but now she's out done herself time and time again. I can't wait to see what spin she will put on it and more importantly if the two sequels will be back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never really given it much thought before. I'd have to say they are. Most motives are piss weak anyway. Just look at Scream 4. "I killed everyone including my mom because I want to be famous." That was fucken shit.
    I think you should bring back Slayed. After reading your short horror stories on here, I think it's safe to say that you're a brilliant horror writer so I think you can perfect the script. Good luck Rei!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to know why they're doing it but I dont like the weak reasons for doing it. "I want to be famous." "You didn't think I was hot enough." "You had the life I wanted." None of those are good enough reasons to kill. Maybe you can come up with a bat-shit crazy idea for why they're killing that doesn't revolve around a piss poor reason.

    ReplyDelete