Bargin Books, Games, Music, Movies & More

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Lemon Chicken - Recipe From Rhiannon Irons

OK, my first post of 2012 isn't that exciting, but it's something that I wanted to share with you all. 

I've often maintained that there's nothing scarier than me first thing in the morning (gray eyes, hair standing on end in about seventy-five different directions, paler than normal complexion - trust me, it's not pretty) however, there is something worse...me in the kitchen. 

I like cooking, however I'm not that great at it.  Baking cupcakes, brownies, cookies etc. I can do perfectly, but actual ediable food is a bit of a stretch.  So when I find something I like, I feel like shouting it from the roof tops that it's idiot proof.  And so, here is an idiot proof recipe from my personal vault (and it's yummy too)

You Need

Skinless Chicken Breast (or thigh) Filets
1/2 Fresh Lemon Juice
Rosemary
1/4 Cornflour
1/4 Cold Water
Chicken Stock/Broth
3/4 Sugar

What To Do

1) In a saucepan bring chicken stock to a boil, then add lemon juice (I juiced real lemons, however you can buy pre-made lemon juice that will work just as well) and sugar

2) Return mixture to the boil

3) Blend cornflour and cold water together then stir into the lemon sauce

4) Cook until thickened, stirring frequently

5) Allow mixture to cool before adding rosemary sprig, stirring until the rosemary is combined perfectly in the sauce.

Congratulations - you've now made an idiot proof sauce.  Now here comes the fun part.

This sauce, as you can see, is quite thick so you can do one of two things with it.  1) You can paste it over the chicken filets, using it as a marinade just before grilling or 2) you can heat it again then poor it directly over your grilled chicken breasts.

Personally, I paste it over the chicken just before I'm about to cook it, then drizzle a little over the top once the chicken is cooked.

Whichever way you do it, the result is the same - very yummy lemon chicken.  Serve on a bed of rice or with a fresh salad and you have a perfect Summer time meal. 

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I'm not much of a cook but this sounds too good to pass up. Might have a try at making it later this week. Thanks Rei and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete